Extended Respiratory PCR Panel
Multiplex Nucleic acid amplification assay (PCR) test for the detection of:
- SARS-CoV-2, Influenza A, Influenza B, RSV (A+B), Adenovirus, Bocavirus, Seasonal Coronaviruses (229E, HKU1, NL63, OC43), Human Metapneumovirus (A+B), Parainfluenza (1-4), Rhinovirus/Enterovirus
- Bordetella pertussis, Chlamydophila pneumoniae, Legionella pneumophila, Mycoplasma pneumoniae
Diagnosis of respiratory infection caused by viruses and atypical bacteria.
Only performed after agreement with a Consultant Microbiologist.
- Please take nasopharyngeal swab as shown here.
- Test sensitivity is dictated by the amount of virus on the swab and is therefore influenced by:
- (1) the timing of the test in relation to the symptoms and
- (2) the quality of the sample (operator-dependent).
- A result should be interpreted in light of the pre-test probability (severity of symptoms, their level of exposure, the disease in the contact); no test is 100% sensitive or specific.
Bronchial Alveolar Lavage (BAL) / Bronchial Washings (BAL)
Yellow topped Cobas swab (preferred)
Red/green topped viral swab
BAL/BW in Sputum pot or sterile universal
Only tested after agreement with a Consultant Microbiologist or if patient meets previously agreed clinical criteria.
Locally at RD&E
Urgent – within 3 hours of sample receipt (During routine opening hours)
Non-urgent – within 24 hours
Specimen Labelling Procedure