Nucleic acid amplification assay for the detection of Norovirus RNA.
Diagnosis of Norovirus infection in inpatients.
Faecal Pot (For Stool Samples)
Sterile Universal (For Vomit)
- This test should only be requested on inpatients after consultation with/advice or guidance from the Infection Control service. Other specimens sent without Infection Control approval may not be processed.
- For non-inpatient requests – please contact the Laboratory before sending samples.
- Please send a separate sample for this test – do not combine with faecal culture or C. difficile testing.
- Not performed on Formed stool – please only send Liquid or Semi-Liquid Stool samples.
- Please ensure that sample containers are filled between 1/3 to 1/2 full. This is sufficient sample volume for testing. Under-filling or over-filling stool sample pots may lead to samples being unsuitable for analysis.
Performed at RD&E
Urgent Specimen Instructions
Please contact Infection Control
Norovirus (vomiting bug) – NHS
Norovirus | Food Standards Agency
For Healthcare Professionals
RDUH | Infection prevention and control
Norovirus: guidance, data and analysis – UKHSA
Specimen Labelling Procedure