Pneumocystis jirovecii PCR
Bronchial washing/ Bronchio-alveolar lavage
White top universal
The following groups are at risk from PCP:
- Persons with HIV infection whose CD4 + cells fall below 200/µL and who are not receiving PJP prophylaxis
- Persons with primary immune deficiencies,
- Persons receiving long-term immunosuppressive regimens for connective-tissue disorders, vasculitides, or solid-organ transplantation
- Persons with hematologic and nonhematologic malignancies, including solid tumors and lymphomas
- Persons with severe malnutrition
Detection of Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PJP, previously PCP)
Causative agent is Pneumocystis jirovecii (Previously Pneumocystis carinii).
Test is for detection of organism DNA in patient samples
48 hours (usually processed within 24hrs)
Urgent Specimen Instructions
Please contact the laboratory prior to sending this test.
Specimen Labelling Procedure