Please see special instructions below.
Quantiferon – TB Gold uses the following collection tubes:
Purple tube – Mitogen
Green Tube – TB1
Yellow Tube – TB2
Grey Tube – Nil control
- For each patient collect 1ml of blood by venepuncture directly into each of the 4 Quantiferon collection tubes.
- As the 1ml tubes draw blood relatively slowly, keep the tube on the needle for 2-3 seconds once the tube appears to have completed filling to ensure the correct volume is drawn.
The black mark on the side of the tubes indicates the 1ml fill volume. This method has been validated for volumes ranging from 0.8 to 1.2ml. If the level of blood in any tube is not close to the indicator line, it is recommended to obtain another sample.
- If a ‘butterfly needle’ is being used to collect blood, a purge tube should be used to ensure that the tubing is filled with blood prior to the quantiferon TB tubes being used.
Mix the tubes by turning the tube end over end 8 -10 times or shaking the tube for 5 seconds ensuring that the entire inner surface of the tube has been coated with the blood. Thorough mixing is required to ensure complete mixing of the blood with the tube’s contents.
Label the tubes appropriately with patient name, date of birth and NHS / Hospital number.
- Do not refrigerate these tests.
- Bring directly to the laboratory ( not via porters) on the day the sample has been taken
- Do not send to laboratory after 4.30pm due to processing time required
- Tubes are available from the Virology department on 2953. They are only issued to the following locations:
- Respiratory Medicine
- Paediatrics ( respiratory )
For detection of Mycobacteria tuberculosis infection. The test cannot distinguish between active and latent infection so should be used in conjunction with other disease markers.
1 – 2 weeks (batched and run on alternate weeks)
Specimen Labelling Procedure